Scar Care: Bio-Corneum
Port St. Lucie
Scar Care Port St Lucie: At Porcaro Cosmetic Surgery, the final appearance of your surgical scar is of utmost importance to us. During your surgical procedure, we use only meticulous surgical technique and make a conscious effort to protect your skin. We avoid placing sutures thru the outside of the skin which can lead to additional scarring. Since tension on surgical incisions can result in widened scars, we approximate the skin with little or no tension.
Despite our best efforts, post op healing is generally beyond the surgeon’s control. There are numerous factors that are involved in the healing of surgical incisions, including your age, sex, skin color, race, sun exposure, smoking, hormone status, how well you follow your post op instructions, etc.
At Porcaro Cosmetic Surgery, we have tried several scar therapy products over the years and we have been most pleased with bioCorneum and it is the only product we recommend for our patients.
Once applied, bioCorneum®+‘s patented gel dries within minutes forming an invisible silicone sheet over the affected area. This protective barrier is breathable, flexible, and waterproof. bioCorneum®+ binds with the stratum corneum (the outer layer of dead skin cells) to protect the underlying tissue against chemical, microbial and physical invasion of the scar.
bioCorneum®+ hydrates the scarred area and creates an environment which allows the scar to mature through normal collagen synthesis cycles and improves the physiological and cosmetic appearance of the scar.
The patented silicone formulation in bioCorneum®+ has been shown to flatten, soften, and smooth scars, reduce discoloration, as well as relieve associated itch, pain and discomfort of scars.
The SPF 30 UV protection ingredients in bioCorneum®+ may protect the maturing scar from the darkening effects of sun exposure, a feature unique to bioCorneum®+ as it is the only patented silicone scar treatment of this kind.
bioCorneum®+ should be applied to the area in a very thin layer, twice daily as directed by your physician. Recommended minimum treatment time for new scars is 60 to 90 days. Recommended use for older scars is 90 days.
Adhering to the twice a day treatment schedule consistently every day, for the prescribed length of treatment, is important. To be effective bioCorneum®+ must be in contact with your scar 24 hours a day.
Benefits of bioCorneum:
- The only 100% silicone scar treatment with SPF 30 UV protection ingredients
- Self dries to form a transparent, flexible sheet within 4-5 minutes
- Softens and flattens raised scars
- Reduces redness and discoloration
- Relieves associated itch and discomfort
- SPF 30 UV protection ingredients may protect scars from sun-induced erythema (redness) and discoloration
- Very water resistant
- Cosmetics may be applied once dry
- Ideal for the face, neck, chest, hands, and any other area exposed to the sun
- May be used on flexures, joints, irregular surfaces, as well as large area scars
- Can be used in conjunction with pressure garments or any other treatment option